Saturday 11 July 2015

Bad week, hard tarmac


Training for the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 took a bit of a knock this week. On Saturday (4th) I had a minor crash which has caused a bit of damage to me and the bike. Then on Tuesday I was literally about to go out the door and picked up my phone to find a message that said a close friend had taken his own life.

Pam and I spent the rest of the evening in a state of shock. Training was off, Wednesday wasn’t much better and after a day at work we just went out for tea as we weren’t even motivated to cook. I finally got out on Thursday and had only gone two miles when the gear shifter came lose and I couldn’t brake or change gear. So Friday the bike went into dock. A big thank you to Shrewsbury Cyclelife ( http://www.shrewsburycycles.co.uk ) for turning the bike around so quickly.

Friday night saw us meeting an old friend for mutual support, sharing of memories of a lost friend and lots of alcohol to try and reason out what happened. Hence Saturday’s training ride with a hangover and on the old heavy bike was hard work. Average speed of 10mph was a disgrace, but at least I was out there.

On a plus – sponsorship money is now starting to appear and I hope we can make a difference to the dogs and cats at Grinshill. Apologies for all those Facebook messages and emails, but we do need to raise enough to make the Just Giving fees worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.